What in the wide wide world of sports is a-goin on here? (1)

Posted on Posted in Uncategorized

The ironies of my Stage 4 Colon Cancer hit me immediately. First, I am currently working to develop a company with the very real goal of curing cancer. Second, we have published and are in the process of facilitating an anti-cancer diet and lifestyle that is having exceptional success. Last, I have been an avid cancer researcher for the past eight months. So, I can’t help but be oddly intrigued by my recent Colon Cancer diagnosis. For the first time in my life, I was stunned. But, not that stunned…

At the beginning, I knew something was wrong. I had gotten used to how my body operated within the first 29 years of my life. I first noticed a problem about two months before I initially went to the Emergency Room. I had been feeling a little weird and my appetite and energy levels plummeted, which had NEVER happened to me before. I went to the Rec Center one day after class with a couple buddies and we ended up playing basketball for about an hour. Afterwards, I wanted to go finish a quick deadlift workout done in the weight room. During my first set, I got maybe four or five reps in and my whole abdomen just felt wrong. It was like something was in the way. It was the first time I ever had any pain in this entire ordeal. It felt like I pulled my groin or something…not that I really even know what that feels like.

Fast-forward to the next night and I’m at my friend’s house playing cards. I began to have very intense intestinal cramps. They would last for about ten seconds, every four or five minutes. It was very strange. I had no fever and felt perfectly fine in every other manner. I decided to call it an early night, after about an hour of the cramping, and went home. The severity intensified for the next couple hours. I ended up taking NyQuil and hoping that I could fall asleep and maybe it would be better in the morning. Everything is better if you sleep it off, right? An hour or so later, I managed to fall asleep. Well, it worked. Or, so I thought. I woke up in the morning with a little bit of residual soreness, but that was it. I felt back to normal again.

A week later, same thing happened. At that point, I was starting to worry a little bit. But, then I felt back to normal the next morning, again. I turned to the internet out of curiosity and, as you have all probably experienced, it seemed I had the symptoms for every disease known to mankind. I decided to pay a little more attention to what I ate and cut back sizably on alcohol.

Cue Homecoming. The University of Missouri has a very large Homecoming celebration every year. I had friends coming back in town and the MBA program was putting on a big tailgate with all of the alumni invited. My friends and I had a typical day of tailgating and then went to the game. In hindsight, maybe we should’ve just stayed at the tailgate based on the score of the game. The Tigers had a disappointing season to say the least.

The next night, everything changed. The cramps were excruciating at this point and seemed to happen every minute or two. This lasted about nine hours. Fun, huh? It was absolutely terrible. I finally managed to fall asleep and woke up the next morning and the cramps were gone; however, my stomach was in constant pain.