Chemo – Round 6 (34)

Posted on Posted in Uncategorized

So, for those of you that have been paying attention and following along, you’re well aware that this week I embarked on my 6th round of chemotherapy. Actually, at the moment, I just got home from having the pump removed. FREEEEEEEEEDOM. Man, I hate that thing.

Anyway, it went pretty well for the most part. Although, this time was different. I went in for labs at 7:45 on Monday, which was way too early if you ask me. Since I have been so *remarkably* healthy lately, and Dr. Kingsley was extremely busy on Monday morning, we decided to skip our little consultation. In doing so, I got to go straight into starting chemo about 8:30.

It was a slow Monday morning so the labs came back quickly and they were eager to get me going. Once again, I was the lucky winner of my very own room. I still can’t decide if I prefer the room to the open sitting area. They both have their pros and cons.

At any rate, the nurse came in and I had to rattle off my name and birthdate several times because, well, that’s just what you do when you’re a patient at the hospital these days. After getting my handy dandy hospital bracelet safely secured on my wrist, it was time to start getting pumped full of goodies.

First, sugar water! And yes, I asked her about the carbs and gave her a hard time for cutting into my ever precious carb allotment. There’s about 30 grams of carbs in the whole bag and I think I only ended up getting about 10% of it, although I’ll admit I wasn’t paying very close attention. The reason they use sugar water is because it reacts much better with the Oxaliplatin (one of the chemotherapies I receive) than saline solution.

Then, I get to take the three little green pills that are the color of the blood you see from the aliens in Alien Vs. Predator. They’re steroids of some kind, but I always forget what they’re called and what exactly they do. My guess is anti-nausea…but don’t hold me to that. Luckily, they’re small, and for the most part, tasteless. I’m quickly becoming a champion at taking pills. You get a lot of practice when you have to do it every four hours for months on end. I don’t even need water anymore. Oh the things we pride ourselves on.

Moving forward, it was time for the IV anti-nausea medicine. Don’t worry, I forgot the name of that one too. I’m just killing it over here with the memory game this week. Whoops. Well, that runs for about 45 minutes or so.

While this was happening, I got to do another interview with KBIA/NPR. Not really sure where this one is going to appear at. Nonetheless, it was fun to answer questions and talk about chemo. It also helped the time go by quicker. I feel as though I’m always being recorded as of late. Did you guys catch me on KOMU on the 9 and 10 o’clock news on Saturday? Fortunately, I don’t think I sounded like too much of a blubbering fool. Go me!

Continuing on, chemo time! After all of the pre-meds are administered, it’s time for the chemo to start. There’s really nothing to it once you get past the idea of multiple nurses coming in draped in multiple gowns, gloves, and masks and biohazard bags full of the medicine they are about to PUT INSIDE ME. Oh joy. It still freaks me out a little bit every time, but oh well. Have to do what you have to do, right?

Well, the chemo portion went by pretty quick and then all of the sudden it was time to hook up the pump and be on my way. I got out of there around 11:50. I had to pick up a prescription on the way out and then my sister and I went to Kampai for an after chemo sushi session. WE SMASHED SOME SUSHI. Chemo definitely doesn’t decrease my appetite…especially on chemo days. Plus, now that I am pretty much all the way recovered from surgery, my appetite is back with a vengeance. Apparently it doesn’t like being underweight as much as I do.

Oh! By the way, I’ve gained back about 20 lbs over the last two weeks. I don’t feel like a child in adult’s clothing every time I get dressed any more. Additionally, I can start working out again in a little over a week! Obviously, I’ll have to take it easy because I’ll be on chemo all summer. But, bring on the gains!!

I made a mistake with chemo this time. I didn’t eat anything beforehand. It never really crossed my mind as something that would make much of a difference because I’m usually not much of a morning/breakfast eater and much prefer to wait until around noon to start eating for the day. By the time we got to the restaurant, I wasn’t feeling so hot. I was a little lightheaded and weak and starting to wonder if maybe the chemo was going to hit me pretty hard this time. I knew I was hungry. I just told myself that once I started eating I would feel good again. And, wouldn’t ya know it, once I started eating…I started feeling good again.

Even though I was feeling pretty good, chemo is still pretty dang tough on the body. It attacks every fast growing cell in your body…which is a lot of cells in case you were wondering. So, Erin and I decided to go back to my house to catch up on the first episode of season 6 of Game of Thrones. I really appreciate nobody spoiling in on social media…but I’m still confused as to how people thought it was such a crazy ending.

Anyway, after that I had to go back up to campus to fill out some paperwork, meet to discuss a presentation with my group, and go to the MBA social. By the end of all that, I was pretty beat. I grabbed a rotisserie chicken from Lucky’s and came home and ate some of that along with a salad for dinner. After that, I didn’t do a whole lot.

Later that night, I got in bed and as I was laying there my legs felt like they weighed a thousand pounds. The same feeling you have after running a ton of sprints or a heavy squat workout…except I did neither. Needless to say, I didn’t really get up much the rest of the night. For some reason, on chemo days, my calves and forearms seem to take a real beating and always feel like they’re one wrong move away from cramping up. Yeah I know…hydrate, hydrate, and hydrate.

Also, the cold sensitivity is back in full swing and getting food out of the fridge or a drink of water is back to being a significant pain in the you know what.

At any rate, I would have to call this round a success. I feel pretty great at the moment (Wednesday afternoon). I’m just getting ready for a long rest of the day of classes. No nausea or fatigue to report. And, since the weather is so nice out, it makes it a lot easier to deal with the cold sensitivity. I don’t have to wear gloves all the time anymore!

Thanks for tuning in.


2 thoughts on “Chemo – Round 6 (34)

  1. You Go Zack what a inspiration you are to all of us, keep up the Awesome work, Randy and I are Super impressed, Love you

Comments are closed.